RE: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

Absolutely agree with Steve.

The only reason for one mandatory algorithm across LDAP servers and
clients is because the client must connect to many servers - and have
its entry replicated in every server to which it connects - AS said - an
unscaleable and broken concept in distributed directory systems.

X.500 provides for mutual authentication between distrbuted systems and
carriage of a clients credentials to the "home" system on which they are
verified - via chains of trust via DSP..

As said - the more security one puts into LDAP the worse it will get.
Mandating one algorithm so that a client can access any server (which
has had that client/users entry replicated before hand) will just man
that LDAP servers are totally unusable and operationally impossible to
deploy - specifically in a world of mobile and organisationally dynamic
staff...

regards alan