Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call

On Mon, 3 Aug 1998, John C. Strassner wrote:
> [js] I think that this needs further discussion. Kerberos, for one, seems
> to be a better choice.

Just a real-world note here.  I'm familiar with one IMAP
client/server vendor who implemented both Kerberos and CRAM-MD5.
According to his report, after two years, 1% of his customers had switched
to Kerberos.  After 6 months of CRAM-MD5 availability, 80% of his
customers had switched to CRAM-MD5.

Deployability is a serious consideration when selecting a
mandatory-to-implement mechanism.

		- Chris