Re: Authentication Methods for LDAP - last call (mixing 3 things)

> I think that this document mixes three things:
>   1) General tutorial (very useful to have in this complex
>      area, which was what Harald's original document did).
>   2) Specifications of what to do (e.g., the Authorization
>      identity specification).  These documents belong
>      in a protocol specification.
>   3) Setting profile requirements and recommendations for
>      LDAP implementation of security features.
>
> I think a lot of work needs to be done before this is ready
> to go to the IESG.   THe main thing is structural, to break
> into several documents, with a functional split something
> like I set out above.  I think that this split will improve
> the clarity of thinking, as in some areas the
> policy/implementation gets blurred in the current document.

Although I nominally agree with this sentiment, I think we should keep the
AuthMeth doc largely as-is and get it to the IESG sooner rather than later. We
need to get this and the StartTLS doc to proposed along with the rest of
LDAPv3.

I suggest that we take into account feedback on the overall structure of these
docs when revising them for Draft Standard consideration, and be willing to
reshape them then.

Jeff