Re: comments on <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-02.txt>

> We now have TLS embedded as extensions to LDAP - will they also get
> embedded as extensions in SMTP, HTTP, FTP, etc,  in the same way?

There are internet drafts which describe the combination of TLS and SASL
with these and more application layer protocols.  The background discussion
on this topic is archived at the following locations:

http://www.imc.org/ietf-apps-tls/
http://www.imc.org/ietf-sasl/
http://www.imc.org/ietf-aaarg/

> Will all these protocols have different algorithms in each interface - will
> all these combinations have the same key management and certificate
> regimes....What will a client software do to authenticate with these
> services.. How will we replicate a clients public key and the users
> directory entry - to support all these things.

The ietf-apps-tls mailing list appears a better place to ask these
questions.  I wouldn't expect HTTP and FTP TLS extension writers to be
reading the LDAP mailing list.

Mark Wahl, Directory Product Architect
Innosoft International Inc.