RE: comments on <draft-ietf-spki-cert-theory-02.txt>

Thanks for that mark - I will supply the comments to that list - But is
there any concern that in one list  "interface mechanisms" such as TLS,
SASL are being developed and in another list or lists the very
management system that supports such systems and permits or denies those
mechanisms to work and scale are at odds....

We now have TLS embedded as extensions to LDAP - will they also get
embedded as extensions in SMTP, HTTP, FTP, etc,  in the same way? Will
all these protocols have different algorithms in each interface - will
all these combinations have the same key management and certificate
regimes....What will a client software do to authenticate with these
services.. How will we replicate a clients public key and the users
directory entry - to support all these things.

Where is the "architecture"...?

My comments apply - If LDAPext is promoting security mechanisms for the
internet which seem at odds with ANY of the key management proposals but
at the same time are dependent on them - then the mess should be
avoided.

regards alan