RE: ldap PICS

At 08:58 01.06.98 +1000, Alan Lloyd wrote:

>In the ISO/ITU world, the rules are - that the standard cannot reach
>Draft International status without a PICS - and from that ISPs are
>produced. That way we dont end up with so many variances of non
>interoperating implementations. ie. customers get some comfort with
>stability in standards.

Grumble.

If you consider the current status of X.400 implementations (with PICS)
a "success", I hope never to encounter something you consider a "failure".

The IETF equivalent to the ISP is the "MUST", "SHOULD" and "MAY" in the
standard itself; the intent of IETF standards is that all products that
implement all the MUSTs are able to interwork.

The fact that people sell products with conformance claims that are
simply manufactured out of thin air is a fact of life for both ISO standards
and IETF standards; in the ISO case, there are people who are making a
living testing some aspects of conformance and issuing certificates thereof.
This MAY be to the advantage of the industry. Or it may not.

                          Harald A

--
Harald Tveit Alvestrand, Maxware, Norway
Harald.Alvestrand@maxware.no