RE: LDAP ACLs

	Yes - perhaps the industry does - but there is no need to
institutionalise that fact with confusing standards and apply them in
every directory implementation. The directory ACL/I standard is to
provide portability of ACI information between systems and the ability
to provide a common Authentication/ ACI policy across a number of
interconnected servers(DSAs).

	Does it not follow that as we evolve to X.509 based systems for
authentication and signatures and these are applied to ACI models
(otherwise how does ACI work if one cannot verify the user) and the fact
that people are mobile and want to acccess a DSA system from anywhere -
that ACI needs to be consistent just like X.509 authentication
processes.

	In addition certficate path processing through different servers
may prevented by ACI for those who are not entitled to verify such paths
- this is a very useful application  ACI in a wider EC environment. ie.
Instead of applying transient CRLs - inhibit the path with an ACI system
wide policy.
	ie. ACI Standards such as X.501 would be good here.

	What we must watch for is that there is a danger that directory
systems end up with just a pile of unmanageable schema (ie. thousands of
attributes - that can be applied in any way shape or form to hundreds of
objects - which relate to network products, application servers,
application services, users, roles, mail lists, certificates, customers,
business objects, company assets - and all iter-mingled) and an access
protocol. As this will make a single access control model complex and
multiple access control regimes (and multiple applications of them) with
distributed operations across a large system impossible.

	Directories are about rapid and deterministic retrieval of
disciplined information across a distributed environment - unmanaged
schema and multiple access controls hardly enable that.

	regards alan