LDAP C API draft - LDAPMessage lifetime?

I don't think that the draft states whether it is legitimate to use
the results of an LDAP search after calling ldap_unbind().  On the one
hand, ldap_unbind() invalidates the session handle, but on the other
hand it does not seem to deallocate the LDAPMessage structure or its
attached values.  So if I have obtained pointers to the attribute values
before calling ldap_ubind(), can I keep using these values by reference
and free the LDAPMessage at my convenience, or should I make a copy of
the values before calling ldap_unbind()?

My guess is the latter, because calls like ldap_first_entry() require a
session handle...