RE: LAST CALL: draft-ietf-asid-ldapv3-simplepaged-02.txt

Sorry that your comments are at the end - brain dead mail program.

Paging is not necessary for simple clients, they can just suck data from
the network as and when they feel like it. Complex clients can and
should handle multiple directory searches for themselves, 'mandating
minimal resource requirements' is just a fancy way of saying "I can't be
bothered to provide the resources for my client you should provide them
for me". What people actually want from paging is for servers to store
the results of queries for them, I regard this as intolerable as IT DOES
NOT SCALE, if you want the results, you should store them.

The spec clearly indicates that paging sessions may be abandoned due to
lack of resources thus there is no pretence of a guarantee that busy
servers can keep a set of paged results long enough to be of use for a
client. Thus clients will experience intermittent failures on busy
servers and will blame the server when the true cause is the inadequacy
of the client. Worse, the directory service as a whole will be perceived
to be unreliable when the actual reason is flaky clients.

As you hint in your final paragraph, the traditional engineering
technique for coping with a mismatch in performance between subsystems
is to insert a buffer between them, if inadequate clients want a storage
service for directory lookups then perhaps we should be looking at a
intermediate set of proxies which can store the results of directory
searches performed at full speed and trickle them out on demand. Clients
can then, if necessary, be charged for the storage service they are
using.

I repeat, the burden on servers of paging as described in this draft is
unnecessary and in my view silly.

Ed
--
Ed Oskiewicz, B54/81, BT Labs Martlesham Heath, Ipswich, Suffolk, UK,
IP5 3RE