Re: Why ldap_<first,next>_attribute ?

MALCOLM BOFF wrote:

> I think that the answer to this is simply the problem of size of response.

EXACTLY. You don't want to buffer the results on the server just so that
you can tell the ldap_search() how many bytes of data it will ultimately
receive -- the server has more important things to do -- it just sends
the results back as it gets the objects.

On the client side, you also don't want to buffer twice, just so you can
allocate a huge array and fill it from the first buffering (which is by
the way - the buffering that is today returned via first/next). There
also is the issue of available block size. I may have lots of memory
available, but there is no guarantee that I have 100MB contiguous
memory, which is what an array requires.
--

Ian Bruce
(630) 713-7387