Re: Why ldap_<first,next>_attribute ?

I think that the answer to this is simply the problem of size of response.

Since the resonses to a SEARCH are maintained in a BER encoded
format there is clearly a problem of memory allocation if the suggestion
that is proposed were to be implemented. I think that this example of
change can as the respondent suggests be masked by a covering function.

However the more difficult problem which I believe is addressed in later
adaptations is what do you do if a SEARCH results in 1000 answers or
10,000 entries of even 1,000,000 matches.

It has been muted that mechanisms be put in place whereby you can ask
for the FIRST 'x' matches then the NEXT 'y' matches etc so the basis is
actually
there for such a mechanism without the need to message the server for your
particular need but it must be on a FIRST, NEXT basis.

Malcolm G. Boff
X500/LDAP Consultant
Sylmex Ltd.