Re: Authlevel in LDAP ACI

At 08:28 PM 4/19/00 -0600, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I think of two things - one is that I don't mind if it's called "other" instead of strong, the other is that it's only a matter of time before someone wants to grant/deny based on the privacy of the pipe. In fact, Novell already does this but at a really gross level (per DSA, applies to everyone). It would be good if it were part of ACI. I suggest confidentialityLevel (could be "none", TLS:cipherSuite, <some future scheme:level>)

My nit is that the stated goal of LDAPaci is to promote interoperability.
If these "levels" are implementation specific, than why?

>Okay, I lied, I have four thoughts.  Why is it OK that we're adding authLevel - which is a whole new concept - but we shot down the request to allow a more granular ipAddress (grant/deny based on a subnet) - which is just a minor tweak to something that's already there? (I think we were chanting the mantra of reduced complexity).
>
>Finally a nit. I'd rather place these additional items at the end of the BNF and make them optional so that people don't have to be bothered with "none"'s
                               ^^^^^^
                               clients

I do not presume that people will be generating ACI values
directly (though they may).  The syntax MUST be designed
such that it is readily MACHINE parsable.

>all over the place if they don't care about levels of security.

Syntax wise, it's wise to place the access-id on the end....  it
it easy (for a MACHINE) to determine where in the current string
the access-id starts.  If you add trailing stuff, it will be
very hard to determine where the access-id ends...