Re: authmeth-15 notes

Roger Harrison writes:

>>> Now that the state tables are gone, this particular info is only

>>> available by reading the whole document, looking for state changes.

>>> (Aha $,1rq(B finally I understand what the tables were good for:$,1rq(B)

>> Are you thinking that we should put them back into the document?  I'm

>> fine with doing so if there seems to be consensus that doing so would

>> be useful.

>No, just a single sentence somewhere under Authorization State.

I've completely reworked this section for -16. I think this should meet your request now.

>>> Anyway, maybe Section 4.something should mention that Bind is the

>>> operation which can change authorization state, and in addition TLS

>>> operations can invalidate the association.

>> The first paragraph of section 4 already states that the Bind

>> operation is used to allow the client and server to exchange

>> information that changes the authorization state.

>Yes.  What it doesn't say is that no other operation (in the core

>standard) does that, except for invalidating associations.

>So I need to change assoc state" has a quick answer in the document,

>but "when can assoc state get changed?" requires a scan of the whole

>document.

I believe this is also now covered in the rewrite of the Authorization State -16. If not, please suggest some words at a specific location.

>>> The server too can close the connection.  I don't remember what's the

>>> use of such a def what the server can do.

>> In reviewing [Protocol] section 4.13.3.1, I believe that this is

>> adequately covered there. I have deleted the last sentence of this

>> paragraph.

>You seem to be reading an old [Protocol] draft.  Protocol‑31 does not

>mention graceful TLS closure at all.  Protocol‑31 StartTLS is section

>4.14, not 4.13.

>If I remember correctly, it was decided some time ago to move several

>protocol‑like issues involving TLS from [protocol] to [authmeth].

>Don't remember why.

In the end, we decided to keep protocol issues in [Protocol]. Section 4.14.3 of [Protocol] covers removal of TLS layers. The last paragraph explicitly allows either protocol peer to terminate the LDAP session after sending or receiving a TLS closure alert, so I believe this issue is resolved.

>‑‑

>Hallvard

Thanks,

Roger