Re: IESG ldapbis-protocol comment

At 01:03 PM 7/6/2005, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Sounds good to me. I assume it just looks like this as the first line of the full ASN.1:
>
>Lightweight-Directory-Access-Protocol-V3 {<IANA-ASSIGNED-ASN.1-OID>}
>
>and then this addition to the IANA considerations:
>It is requested that the IANA update the occurrence of <IANA-ASSIGNED-ASN.1-OID> in Appendix B with an object identifier in order to facilitate IMPORTS  by other ASN.1 modules

I suggest:
 It is requested that IANA assign upon Standards Action an LDAP
 Object Identifier [BCP64bis] to identify the ASN.1 module
 defined in this document.

 Subject: Request for LDAP Object Identifier Registration
 Person & email address to contact for further information:
    Jim Sermersheim <jimse@novell.com>
 Specification: RFC XXXX
 Author/Change Controller: IESG
 Comments:
    Identifies the LDAP ASN.1 module

 [[Note to RFC Editor: please replace the occurrence of
   <IANA-ASSIGNED-ASN.1-OID> in Appendix B with the IANA
   assigned OID.]]

That is, a) request IANA make the assignment, b) request the
RFC Editor to use the assigned OID.

>I'm not sure if we need to provide IANA with guidance as to the arc used to allocate the OID, and/or guidance on the format of the OID.

The suggested text specifically requests an LDAP OID be assigned
under BCP64(bis) procedures.