Re: Evaluation of an unknown attribute description in a presence filter

On 19-May-05, at 5:49 PM, Jim Sermersheim wrote:

Tow things:

1) Are you saying that the same logic should also apply to other search filters (not just the present filter)?

Yes. If the OID were known, then there would be no assertion of that type, so logically an unknown numericoid should be equivalent to the non-existence of an assertion, whether in a presence filter or an equality, substring, etc. filter.

2) I'm missing the point about attribute subtyping. If a filter item considers attribute subtypes of the named attribute, and OID is still just as definitive isn't it? It either exists in the schema or it doesn't.

The question is, could the unknown oid have a known oid as a subtype? On reflection, I think not... that should be in the schema. So it's still definitive.