Re: vacation message & schema design

That would give us 11 or so object classes, one for each optional feature in the mail system, just so we could use LDAP to store mail information. Most mail objects would need at least 5-6 object classes. *Not* good. I haven't seen many schemas that follow that philosophy either.

Not only is it good schema design it is based on good OO design principles: Use interfaces (which is exactly what an aux object class is) and in the case of LDAP polymorphism to expose specific features to applications.

I don't believe you can show me a deployed schema which actually relies
on empty IA5Strings. In fact as I have noted elsewhere in this thread
most client libraries could not distinguish empty strings from an absent
attribute-value.

If a user wants to add a vacation message which requires that he also
adds an object class, he must have write access to add that object
class.  He might not have write access to modify all of his own entry.

Value-based ACL:s are supportet in many implementations. Give the user right to add the specific object class value.

In any case I believe that your example fails to clearly show that 0-
length IAString values are ok where 0-length DirectoryStrings are not.

I.e if I were to accept your example as an argument I could construct
another example based on an attribute which required the DirectoryString
syntax (some form of a name for instance) but which, because of the
size-restrictions on DirectoryString, would not be a valid schema.

To convince me you need to construct an example which does not make
sense when the syntax is a DirectoryString! I dare you to come up with
that :-)

	MVH leifj