Re: reframing the Empty IA5 string discussion

After re-reading RFC 2251, I changed my mind, and now I prefer 2B as I think most people would interpret a space-only string to either be leading or trailing whitespace, thus ignored.

Jim

>>> "Jim Sermersheim" <jimse@novell.com> 11/10/04 10:23:17 PM >>>
Not being an expert at LDAPprep or the reasons why Directory Strings have the whitespace and min 1 rules they do, I prefer 2A.

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 11/10/04 9:41:29 PM >>>
I see that there are few reasonable options here:
1) IA5 strings precludes zero-length values
2) IA5 strings allows zero-length values
2A) a zero-length values only matches a zero-length value
2B) a zero-length value matches " " (and all values
equivalent to " ").

I prefer 1 over 2A over 2B (see prior posts for why).

(Regardless of the choice LDAPprep can and should be designed
to be idempotent.)