RE: Quoted values in string DN

It's unclear to the reader who has no background with RFC 2253 or earlier why the characters DQUOTE, and SEMI must be escaped, and it's somewhat puzzling why LANGLE and RANGLE must be escaped until one reads Appendix A.

Even after reading Appendix A, I'm not sure why we need to make this provision. Most prose which chooses to distinguish a DN or any other value from the surrounding text can use whatever delimiters it wants and qualify it by stating making the statement "excluding the surrounding <c> characters" (excluding the surrounding " characters, and replacing <c> with the character(s) they have chosen). Is the whole point of escaping LANGLE and RANGLE just so we can avoid putting such statements into prose?

Anyway, I diverge. I agree we can't remove DQUOTE (or even SEMI) as escaped characters in order to support existing clients, but I think some historical note should be added which addresses DQUOTE and SEMI to avoid future head scratching.

Jim

At 09:15 PM 10/18/2004, Ramsay, Ron wrote:
>Nothing to do with 'C'. The quoting in RFC 2254 uses '\'.
>
>That "Section 2 of RFC 2253 says the RDN is written: ..." is actually the *point* of the thread!

I think the point of this thread is that, regardless of why,
both [LDAPDN] and [RFC2253] require double quotes in
distinguished values to be escaped and lifting that requirement
in [LDAPDN] would be problematic. It would hinder implementation
support for alternative representations and hence simple
presentation in prose, but that pales into comparison to the
interoperability problems that lifting the requirement would
introduce.

>So, you want to add \" to the ABNF so that you will able to 'quote' DN's in your email?

No, I am saying that "cn=RL \"Bob\" Morgan" is clearly a
presentation of the DN string:
cn=RL \"Bob\" Morgan
not
cn=RL "Bob" Morgan
because the latter is invalid per RFC 2253 (and [LDAPDN]).
If one were to remove the " escaping requirement, then
its not clear which DN string is being presented.