RE: NOT filter question

If one want to match entries which contain height of 6 or
greater, just use (height>=6).  If one want to match entries
which contain height greater than 6, use (height>=7).
(I'm assuming height here is a single-valued attribute of
integer syntax with an integerMatch equality rule and an
integerOrderingMatch ordering rule.)

If height is single-valued of a syntax where one cannot
specify the next value in the ordering (as I did in
the first paragraph of this note), then I suggest
(&(height>=6)(!(height=6))) instead.  But don't use this
if height is multi-valued.

If height is multi-valued, use (height>=6) and then
weed out results return.  (Note: component matching may
be able to help here.)

But I would avoid assertions similar to your suggestion,
e.g., (&(height=*)(!(height<=6))), as it based (I believe)
on a flawed assumptions, such as if (height=*) is True
for some entry that either (height<=6) or (height>=6) will
evaluate to True for that entry.  For instance, this
could occur when there are administrative controls
which prohibit evaluation of certain assertions for
(some) values of (some) attributes of (some) entries.

Kurt