Re: Partially suppported supportedControl/supportedExtension

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

Should the root DSE's supportedControl, supportedExtension and maybe
supportedSASLMechanisms be defined to only list values that are
supported by the entire server, not values that are supported for only
part of the server?

I actually disagree, I think that a server should list values that are supported by any part of the server.
Imagine a situation when certain SASL mechanisms are only available for certain users. If root DSE doesn't advertise a SASL mechanism which is available for a particular user, a well behaved LDAP client will not try this mechanism. Now, if this is the only available SASL mechanism for the user, the client will be unable to bind using SASL.

I think the same argument applies to controls and extended operations.

Unfortunately I know of no mechanism to advertise a particular feature as available for a user, a subtree, etc.

Alexey