Re: Partially suppported supportedControl/supportedExtension

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:

First, let me clarify the particular problem case:
 The client provided an advertised critical control to a
 search operation.  The server responded with
 unavailableCriticalExtension.

I would argue that advertisement implies the server
recognizes and understands the control (that is,
it is 'supported') BUT that the advertisement
doesn't necessarily imply that any particular
operation extended by the control is serviceable.
However, if not serviceable (for whatever reason),
the server should return a service error, such as
unwillingToPerform, not unavailableCriticalExtension.

Another question that follows: does this give the client enough information to gracefully handle the error?
I.e. can the client assume that the unwillingToPerform error means that the client should retry the operation without the control and it may then succeed?
If RootDSE hasn't advertised support for the control, the client wouldn't have tried to use it in the first place.

Alexey