Re: OID attribute values with unknown names

At 12:21 AM 5/26/2004, Steven Legg wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>In reading [Syntaxes] again, I am a bit concerned
>>that it describes syntaxes in terms of the LDAP
>>string encoding
>I have been very careful in making a distinction between the abstract syntax
>and the LDAP string encoding in the syntaxes draft.

For your information, the one instance initiated my bit of concern
was Directory String.
   A value of the Directory String syntax is a string of one or more
   arbitrary characters from the Universal Character Set (UCS) [UCS].

The abstract syntax is actually a sequence of arbitrary characters,
commonly of UCS but could be of T.61 or other character sets.  The
restriction to UCS is peculiarity of the LDAP string encoding, not
of the abstract syntax.

However, after toying around with some alternative wordings, I
couldn't come up with anything better.  So I'm fine with letting
this be.

>Or they are reading their own assumptions into what is actually written.

Yes.  Overall, I think [Syntaxes] is quite clear and "good enough".
Regardless of what we do, there will be some odd readings.

Kurt