OID attribute values with unknown names

[Syntaxes] 3.3.26 (OID) says:

>   A value of the OID syntax is an object identifier; a sequence of two
>   or more non-negative integers that uniquely identify some object or
>   item of specification.

This seems to imply that the server MUST NOT store a name in an OID
attribute unless it knows which numericoid the name represents (and
therefore also knows what kind of OID the attribute values represent -
e.g. object classes, matching rules, or whatever).  That does not
seem to be the intent of rfc2252 section 6.25 (OID syntax).

The rest of the section does allow for names, but it says nothing about
unknown names, so it doesn't seem to override the text above:

>                           Many of the object identifiers used in LDAP
>   also have IANA registered names [RFC3383].
>
>   The LDAP-specific encoding of a value of this syntax is defined by
>   the <oid> rule in [MODELS].

If the above restriction is intentional, we can remove some of the text
which resulted from the 'objectIdentifierMatch on ambiguous name' thread
in 2003.

Otherwise, MAY the server refuse to store such names?  Maybe [Syntaxes]
or [Models] should answer that.