Re: control combination was: Re: protocol-22 comments)

There is a subtle difference in the suggested text from the
current text that might be, well, a bit too subtle.

The current text talks about avoiding combinations whose
semantics are not SPECFIED while the suggested talks about
avoiding combinations which are not DEFINED.  While defined
and specified are synonyms of each other, the latter can
be viewed as implying there is a specification (e.g., document)
where the semantics are defined, the former only can be viewed
only as implying the semantics are defined (without regard
to where they are specified).

In the example of Sort+SignedOp, I think it can be argued that
the semantics are defined even though they are not explicitly
specified.  The intent of the text is not to prohibit such
combinations.

The text is intended to disallow use of combinations where the
semantics are undefined, such as a combination of PagedResults
[RFC2696] and VLV [draft-ietf-ldapext-ldapv3-vlv-08.txt].

If I reading everyone's comment well, I think we have consensus
on what we want to say but just haven't found the words that say
it well enough.  Specific suggestions welcomed.

Kurt