Re: control combination was: Re: protocol-22 comments)

At 08:55 PM 5/5/2004, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>I would rather not introduce the ability to overload the criticality
>field in this ways.

It does kind of sound like a new feature...

>I'd rather keep it simple

That's generally wise.

>by stating that the:
>"server MUST NOT make use of a combination of controls whose semantics
>are not defined (or not known to it). When such a combination of
>controls is encountered, it is RECOMMENDED that the server return
>protocolError. Otherwise behavior is undefined.

I dislike the wording as it could be taken as allowing the server
not to return an error (as opposed to suggesting which code to
return in this case).

How about?
  Controls are not to be combined (with other controls
  of same or different types) unless the semantics of the
  combination have been defined.  When an implementation
  (client or server) encounters a combination of controls
  whose semantics are not defined (or not known to that
  implementation), the implementation MUST treat the
  request as a protocol error.

(Note: I generalized this for both clients and servers,
and for requests which don't have responses.)