RE: Protocol: control specifications.

I have already noted the X.511 statement that a DUA shall set the
corresponding bit of the critical extensions field when using extensions
that X.511 defines as critical.  Beyond that, no I am aware of no
"non-diagnostic" use.

Clearly, if a server recognizes the control and it is appropriate to use,
the RFC 2251 and ldapbis language both require the server to honor the
control independent of criticality.

I consider the existing language an improvement over RFC 2251.  The RFC
2251 language of "always critical" and "never critical" implies behavior
that does not exist; "critical at senders request" is the only thing that
is consistent with the servers' required behavior.  Its possible the
language was intended to mean more but lost something during editing, but
that is pure conjecture on my part.

I guess I'll accept any language that clearly states what the server is
supposed to do with control criticality, and uses consistent language for
guidance/requirements of control definitions.

John  McMeeking