RE: Protocol: control specifications.

I agree, and suggest that once we have a stable control guidelines document, that we revise the existing control specifications to bring them inline (though I'm not implicitly volunteering to do the work).

JIm

>>> "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org> 3/8/04 3:29:50 PM >>>
I note that we had a number of discussions in LDAPEXT regarding
flaws in RFC 2649 and RFC 2891 (and a number of other control
specifications) criticality handling, mostly dealing with
overloading of criticality semantics but also dealing with
criticality of response controls.

In general, I believe the consensus (at that time) was:
a) control specifications should not make server
processing of an operation extended by a control
dependent on the criticality of that control, and
b) criticality of a response control is not generally
relevant to client processing of an operation extended
by a control.

I think consensus today is much the same. [Protocol] appears
to reflect this.

Kurt