Re: dITStructureRules

In the Adacel directory server we disallow ambiguous name forms in the schema. An update that attempts to add an ambiguous name form to a subschema subentry fails with a constraintViolation error.

To the best of my knowledge, X.500 doesn't say what to do with ambiguous
name forms. We chose to disallow them.

Regards,
Steven

Jim Sermersheim wrote:
It would be interesting to know what some X.500 vendors currently do. This seems to beg for some kind of 'ambiguousStructuralRule' error.
Jim

>>> "Steve McLain" <smclain@novell.com> 2/22/04 8:28:10 PM >>>
What is the desired/proper behavior if when adding a new entry, there are two or more possible dITStructureRules that could equally be the governingStructureRule? For exampe:
NameForm1 mandatory cn, optional ou, namedObjectClass orgPerson NameForm2 mandatory cn, optional sn, namedObjectClass orgPerson
StructureRule5
NameForm nameForm1
SuperiorRule StructureRule4
StructureRule6
NameForm nameForm2
SuperiorRule StructureRule4
StructureRule7
NameForm nameform2
SuperiorRule Structurerule6
Attempting to add a orgPerson object with the rdn of "cn=ldapuser" to a parent object that has a governingStructureRule
of StructureRule4.
What dITStructureRule is set for the governingStructureRule or should this error?
I have looked through X.500 and the current model draft, I have not found the answer yet.
Steve McLain