Re: names of RFC references (was: models-09 comments)

I haven't seen any further comments on this subject, so I'll jump in. I've attempted to at least make AuthMeth consistent with itself and with Protocol in the -10 draft by using descriptive names for all references.

I had assumed that since we are using descriptive names for the LDAP TS that it would make sense to use them everywhere. I realize that the RFC editor could replace descriptive names of LDAP TS  docs with their RFCs as the RFC numbers are assigned, but I'd prefer leaving descriptive names throughout.

Roger

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>At 09:39 AM 1/7/2004, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>
>> It would be nice if the LDAPbis documents had more or less
>> the same reference names for the same documents, at least
>> for references to LDAPbis documents.
>
> Yes. I hope we can leave it to the Editors to determine
> exactly what LDAPBIS style is.

Yes, I'd have posted this to the ietf-ldapbis-editors mailinglist if it
existed:-)

>> I'll post a list of differences between reference names is
>> anyone is interested.
>
> Pointing out differences in style (where it matters) is
> useful.

I don't know what of this matters, but:

Reference name styles:

[BCP64bis], [LDAPDN], [LDAPURL], [Models], [Roadmap], [Schema],
[Strprep] use document numbers: [RFC2234], [X.690].

[Protocol] uses descriptive names: [ABNF], [BER].

[AuthMeth] prefers document numbers, but also has [ABNF] and [UTF-8].

[Filters] uses document numbers for RFCs, but also has [ASN.1].

[Syntaxes] uses descriptive names, except it also needs names like
[BCP64], [RFC2256] for older documents.

Nobody call [X.500], [T.50] & co anything interesting:-)

[Syntaxes] and partly [Schema] use uppercased descriptive names
for internet-drafts and RFCs. The other documents do not.

Name conflict:

[Filters] calls X.690 '[ASN.1]', while [Protocol] and [Syntaxes] call
X.680 '[ASN.1]'. That is confusing. I suggest [Filters] calls X.690
[BER], as [Protocol] and [Syntaxes] do.

URL styles:

[LDAPDN] uses the approximate URL < http://www.iana.org/ ...>.
[BCP64bis] only refers to the web site < http://www.iana.org/ > for the
registry (outside a reference). URLs in other places, including IANA
URLs, are complete.

Other details:

The [UTF-8] or [UTF8] reference is outdated in many drafts.
It is now an RFC, not an internet-draft:
Yergeau, F., "UTF-8, a transformation format of ISO 10646",
STD 63 and RFC 3629, November 2003.

Reference descriptions in [LDAPURL], [Filters] and partly [AuthMeth]
are not indented out from the reference names, which makes searching
for a reference slower.

Some reference names are also descriptive words in the text, which
will be lost if the reference is renamed. E.g. the phrases '[UTF-8]
encoded' in [AuthMeth] and '[TLS]-protected' in [Protocol]. I'll
scan for more if you are interested.

The reference name [BCP64bis] will have to be renamed, since the
name implies an unfinished document. Hopefully it will be finished
someday:-)