Re: protocol: placement of initial/final substrings

Kurt,

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
At 03:28 PM 12/18/2003, Steven Legg wrote:

SubstringFilter in [Protocol] is a different ASN.1 type and values of
this ASN.1 type are always encoded in BER in the protocol. The BER encoding
distinguishes the initial, any and final components with different context
specific tags, so the order doesn't matter, and no order is imposed.

I'd argue that there is an ordering has been implicitly imposed
upon the substrings.  Otherwise *a*b* would be equivalent to *b*a*
when encoded as BER.

Yes, the ordering of the "any"s matters. I just had a look what X.511 says about the substrings in a FilterItem. It defers to X.520 and the SubstringAssertion type (flakey, since it's a different type). X.520 says:

    "There shall be at most one *initial*, and at most one *final* in *strings*.
     If *initial* is present, it shall be the first element of *strings*. If
     *final* is present, it shall be the last element of *strings*."

Exactly what is meant by *strings* isn't actually defined, but the probable
intent of all this is that the substrings in filter items are meant to be
ordered the same way. A statement to that effect in the protocols draft
would be appropriate.

Regards,
Steven

Kurt