Re: protocol: placement of initial/final substrings

At 05:06 PM 12/18/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>That assumes a conversion directly from LDAP search filter string format to BER. Interfaces may exist which allow construction of filters in a non-string fashion.
>
>Novell's eDirectory allows the initial, any, and final components to come in any order, as did the old UMich code (OpenLDAP later enforced ordering).

The any are certainly ordered, why wouldn't the initial and final
be as well?

I mean, if you take the lack of an explicit statement to mean
that the order of elements in the SEQUENCE has no semantically
value, then { any "A", any "B" } and { any "B", any "A" } are
equivalent.

Kurt