[authmeth] use of SASL "PLAIN" witih LDAP

In my conversations with WG members, I have learned that at least one LDAP server implementer has found the SASL "PLAIN" mechanism useful in authenticating to legacy systems that do not represent authentication identities as DNs. [authmeth] section 3.3.1 implicitly disallows the use of the SASL "PLAIN" mechanism with LDAP:

"As LDAP includes native anonymous and plaintext authentication methods, the "ANONYMOUS" and "PLAIN" SASL mechanisms are not used with LDAP."

Should we remove the reference to "PLAIN" in this section to allow the use of the SASL "PLAIN" mechanism?

Roger Harrison

Roger G. Harrison
Manager, eDirectory Core and Utilities
Novell, Inc., the Leader Provider of Net Business Solutions
www.novell.com