Re: Specifying non-tcp transports referrals

on 6/24/2003 1:12 PM Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> I believe it's assumed that the address in an LDAP URL
> (draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-03.txt) points to an LDAP server capable of
> communicating over TCP/IP. This is probably a bad assumption.
>
> If/when someone wants to specify a non-TCP transport be used to follow
> a referral, how would that be done? So far, all I can think of is to use
> different URI schemes like:

This is a problem for other schemes that can use multiple transport
protocols already. RFC 3263 defines a mechanism using NAPTR and SRV RRs to
handle this problem with SIP and is being advocated by some folks for use
with other services. My own personal preference would be to modify the
scheme descriptor to include a transport (eg ldap/tcp://host:port/...)
since that would be the cleanest service/proto mapping.