Re: Attribute Name Length Bounds

In re-reading the top of this thread, I have a comment which are
covered well in other follow-ups.

At 12:28 AM 6/13/2003, Chris Apple wrote:
>I have encountered a problem while attempting to extend the basic schema
>of several different LDAPv3 server implementations. Specifically, some of
>them place restrictions on the length of attribute names. In one case,
>the attribute name length restriction is rather short, too short to
>make it possible for it to distinguish between two different attribute
>names with the same character string as a prefix.

Are you saying that a server is treating two different short
names (descriptors) as being equivalent because the first few
characters of the name happen to be the same?

That is, an implementation is ignoring the difference in
  'x-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-1'
and
  'x-xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx-2'.

If yes, I would consider that to be an implementation bug.  I
suggest you report this to the implementor.  Two names should
only be considered equivalent if they contain the same set of
characters (ignoring case).

Kurt