Attribute Name Length Bounds

I have encountered a problem while attempting to extend the basic schema
of several different LDAPv3 server implementations. Specifically, some of
them place restrictions on the length of attribute names. In one case,
the attribute name length restriction is rather short, too short to
make it possible for it to distinguish between two different attribute
names with the same character string as a prefix. Take a look at the
DEN schema for examples of such attribute names.

So far, I cannot find a requirement in any LDAP-related RFC or I-D
that addresses the issue of attribute name length bounds.

This means that you cannot take the same schema specification and apply
it verbatim to different LDAPv3 server implementations and to me
represents an inhibitor to interoperability of clients and servers
that have different attribute length restrictions/constraints/etc.

However, I am not sure where to suggest adding such a requirement
to clarify the nature of the problem to implementers so that this
interoperability impact can be minimized.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:capple@dsi-consulting.net

http://www.dsi-consulting.com