RE: Attribute Name Length Bounds

I have re-read Kathy's suggestion several times.

I now agree that as worded, it would cause more harm than
good because it places an upper bound on attribute lengths. I
was only concerned with a lower bound to ensure some publicly
known requirement. This would enable users to have some
reasonable degree of assurance that two products claiming
conformance with that requirement should interoperate with
respect to this issue. I do not see that similar (or any)
harm to the use of LDAPv3 would be caused by a lower bound
on attribute type names or object classes.

So I will point back to the suggestion from Rick Huber as
the requirement wording that seems appropriate to me on this
topic.

I maintain my view that this particular issue is of
sufficiently general nature to justify consideration
of adding a requirement to one or more standards track
documents. Some of those could be from this group. That
question I asked in a separate posting to the WG.

I do think there needs to be a bit more discussion about
where such a requirement belongs. It would be nice (and
helpful for Kurt) if folks would say what they think about
where such a requirement belongs and why. That way, if
consensus turns out to be that such a requirement should
be included in one or more of the LDAPBIS deliverables,
we could work on the actual language in the WG.

I think it is unwise to make a blanket statement that
you shouldn't make size limit restrictions to protocol
fields because "they are bad." That's a generalization that
you can't back up with a convincing, general technical argument.
I'm sure there are cases where size limits are bad. I'm equally
certain that there are cases where not having them causes harm.

My assertion is that not having a requirement, somewhere in a
standards track document, for a lower bound on object class
and attribute type names already is causing harm. And we have
a chance to mitigate that harm now. So I would like to see
such a requirement in an appropriate LDAPBIS deliverable.

I've already pointed out that there are multiple
application contexts in which this issue is relevant.

My opinion about where such a requirement belongs is
based on the fact that this is an interoperability issue
that transcends any specific application profile.
Therefore, according to the work LDAPBIS is chartered
to complete, I think it belongs somewhere in one of
the deliverables produced by LDAPBIS.

I realize that others might have different opinions. I can
surmise what a few of those might be to the question of
where such a requirement might belong. I would like to hear
from more folks about their opinions on where such a requirement
belongs and why.

Chris Apple - Principal Architect

DSI Consulting, Inc.

mailto:capple@dsi-consulting.net