Values of matchingRules Attribute

Hi -

We are beta testing The Open Group's VSLDAP test suite, and the following question has been raised. Input from ldapbis experts would be much appreciated.

Must a server maintain values of the matchingRules attribute for standard matching rules such as presence or equality?

RFC 2252 says:

  5.1 Standard Operational Attributes
   Servers MUST maintain values of these attributes in accordance with
  the definitions in X.501(93)
   5.1.8 matchingRules
  This attribute is typically located in the subschema entry

It doesn't specify whether the attribute values must include values for standard attributes. I took a look at X.501, and couldn't find a clear statement there either. I would have assumed, unless it said otherwise, that there would be values for the standard rules - but experience has taught me that such assumptions are dangerous.

Please give me your views!

Regards,

Chris
+++++

           Dr. Christopher J. Harding
  T H E    Executive Director for the Directory Interoperability Forum
 O P E N   Apex Plaza, Forbury Road, Reading RG1 1AX, UK
G R O U P  Mailto:c.harding@opengroup.org Phone: +44 118 902 3018
           WWW: http://www.opengroup.org Mobile: +44 774 063 1520

Boundaryless Information Flow - Grid Computing
Boston, MA, USA, July 21st - 25th
http://www.opengroup.org/boston2003

UNIX is a registered trademark of The Open Group in the US and other countries