Re: IETF ldapbis WG Last Call: draft-ietf-ldapbis-user-schema-05.txt

At 11:39 AM 5/19/2003, Norbert Klasen wrote:
>the schema in many LDAP servers contains an alternate name for those attributes, whose name is an abbreviation from the name of the respective X.500 attribute type, e.g. 'cn' and 'commonName' or 'st' and 'stateOrProvinceName'.  Should this be reflected in the user-schema document?

Personally, I think they should not be listed as that would
require implementations to recognize additional names.  Multiple
names leads to interoperability problems as it is inevitable
that some implementations will not recognize all of them.

Certainly LDAP implementations are allowed to recognize
additional names... but they should not assume others do.

Kurt