RE: Models: Matching Rule Uses

At 08:43 PM 2/13/2003, Steven Legg wrote:
>For this rule in particular, or as an example ?

I think I'll reserve myself and say the langauge is fine.  So,
returning to Hallvard's [Models] issue:

>Example: [Syntaxes] 5.2.3 caseIgnoreIA5Match says:
>
>   The caseIgnoreIA5Match rule compares an assertion value of the IA5
>   String syntax to an attribute value of a syntax (e.g the IA5 String
>   syntax) whose corresponding ASN.1 type is IA5String.
>
>So caseIgnoreIA5Match can be used with attributes whose corresponding
>ASN.1 type is IA5String, but not e.g. bit string syntax.

As specified here, yes.  But this specification can be revised
(by update or extension) to support matching against attribute
values of other syntaxes.

>I'm hoping that this also means that a caseIgnoreIA5Match
>matching rule use can only list attributes whose corresponding
>ASN.1 type is IA5String.

If the implementation has knowledge of an revised specification
allowing other uses, it may publish them.

Kurt