Re: Models: Matching Rule Uses

At 11:42 PM 2/12/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>Example: [Syntaxes] 5.2.3 caseIgnoreIA5Match says:
>
>   The caseIgnoreIA5Match rule compares an assertion value of the IA5
>   String syntax to an attribute value of a syntax (e.g the IA5 String
>   syntax) whose corresponding ASN.1 type is IA5String.

This wording, I think, is overly restrictive.  It's not necessary
for the assertion value here to be an IA5String or even contain an
IA5String.  What is necessary is a well-defined algorithm for
performing the assertion against a value of the attribute type's
syntax.

>So caseIgnoreIA5Match can be used with attributes whose corresponding
>ASN.1 type is IA5String, but not e.g. bit string syntax.  I'm hoping
>that this also means that a caseIgnoreIA5Match matching rule use can
>only list attributes whose corresponding ASN.1 type is IA5String.

No, the assertion syntax and attribute value syntax can be quite
different.

Kurt