Re: Models: Matching Rule Uses

Kurt D. Zeilenga writes:
>At 01:17 AM 2/13/2003, Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
>> Well, the point is that if it may be a syntax which is not permitted by
>> the restrictions I quoted from [Syntaxes], or whatever they are modified
>> to say, that must be mentioned in [Models].
>
> The data model places no restrictions on the specification
> of matching rules in this area.
>
> Can you offer a specific change to [Models] which attempts
> to address your concern?

If there are no restrictions, that would be:

4.1.4:
  "An attribute type can appear in a matching rule use even
  if the corresponding matching rule definition in [Syntaxes]
  does not allow the attribute type's syntax."

I might note that this is _not_ how OpenLDAP works now.
That creates e.g. a matchingRuleUse for caseIgnoreMatch
which does not allow seeAlso, which has a different syntax.

Furthermore,

  "If a matching rule has no corresponding matching rule use,"
  ..."it can be used with any attribute type."?
  ...or if not, when can it be used?