Re: Models: Subclassing

At 11:22 AM 1/27/2003, Jim Sermersheim wrote:
>Section 2.4 describes object class subclassing, but should express the
>effect of subclassing (namely that a subclass inherits the MUST and MAY
>list(s) of superior object classes in its superclass chain, but does not
>inherit Name Forms or DIT Content Rules)
>
>Section 2.4.2 states "Structural object classes cannot subclass
>auxiliary object classes." and Section 2.4.3 states "Auxiliary object
>classes cannot subclass structural object classes.". I can't find these
>restrictions in X.501--can you point out the reference?

You won't find any clear, explicit statement in X.501 regarding this.

I added the above statements to address what I consider to
be a technical omission in the existing specification.  The
alternative would be describe the semantics of such subclassing.
I didn't take this alternative as such subclassing makes no
sense to me.

Kurt