Re: DC/UID

In a previous post to this thread, I said:
  However, if we go the registry route, one could argue that
  'dc' and 'uid' could safely be removed from the table and
  that incorporation of the attribute types (and matching rule)
  is unnecessary.

If we go the "any short name" route (which I believe we've already
eliminated as not viable... see archives for details), then it could
be argued that the table could be removed (or made non-normative)
and that the incorporation of the attribute types (and matching
rule) is unnecessary.

Its my personal opinion, that DC and UID should be added regardless
of "published table" issues as we use them in numerous examples.
While use in examples doesn't demand their specifications
be incorporated normatively, I think its best to only use normatively
defined elements in examples.  And while we could change the
examples to use other elements, I prefer to continue to use DNs
which follow the Internet naming plan (RFC 2377) in our examples.

With regards to changing the "published table" text in our
DN draft, I note that the WG is considering "registry" approaches
here.  As I noted on the list a few months ago, the short name
issue is really not DN-specific.  We need to address it in
draft-ietf-ldapbis-models [Models] first and then, if possible
and agreeable, adapt the [Models] approach to DN.

An alternative DN I-D which uses the current [Models] approach
should be announced to the list shortly.  Interesting enough,
this I-D requires a normative reference to a DC/UID specification.

Kurt