Re: Another problem with abandon

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:

I don't think so.  It has the effect that any definition of LDAP for a
protocol which doesn't guarantee order, must reserve message IDs of
abandoned operations until the next bind.

Oops.  It must reserve the message IDs of abandoned operations, period.
The server might receive the abandon after the bind.

[The message IDs only need to be reserved for 2MSL (for the same reason that TCP is supposed to wait that long for TIME_WAIT blocks to expire)]

CLDAP has never been widely used, and has always had a lot of problems dealing with dropped packets and the mapping to a best effort delivery service. For example, if a search request generates a number of search responses, there's no way to detect if any of the matches are lost, unless all replies are required to fit in a single datagram. This makes CLDAP pretty useless, since it uses the same high overhead encodings as regular LDAP.

Whoops - I just rediscovered that I was supposed to write something up on this eight years ago (mar 94).

Simon