RE: draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-03.txt

Hallvard,

Hallvard B Furuseth wrote:
> Steven Legg writes:
> > The escaping of octets > 0x7f in assertion values means that the
> > LDAP URL is an ASCII string and therefore resilient in the face of
> > transcription. We should probably go further and escape the
> > non-printable ASCII characters as well.
>
> Why?  URIs have their own escaping mechanism (%<hex><hex>).

You're right. I missed the bit in draft-ietf-ldapbis-url-02.txt that
applied this escaping mechanism. The LDAP URL format isn't a reason for
escaping octets > 0x7f in string filters. A less compelling reason for
escaping octets > 0x7f in UTF-8 encoded assertion values would be to
make the string representation of a filter more easily transcribable
in its own right. The reason for escaping octets > 0x7f in arbitrary
octet data assertion values is to ensure the string filter is a UTF-8
character string (a reasonable goal IMO).

Regards,
Steven