Re: draft-ietf-ldapbis-filter-03.txt

Steven Legg writes:
> The escaping of octets > 0x7f in assertion values means that the
> LDAP URL is an ASCII string and therefore resilient in the face of
> transcription. We should probably go further and escape the
> non-printable ASCII characters as well.

Why?  URIs have their own escaping mechanism (%<hex><hex>).  Also, since
the URI RFC recommends to escape '\', which LDAP uses for quoting, a
non-ASCII character could become 5 characters instead of 3 if we require
LDAP-quoting as well.

> An LDAP URL with non-ASCII UTF-8 characters could only be faithfully
> entered through an interface that supported UTF-8.

Only if non-ASCII characters were required to be neither LDAP-quoted nor
URI-escaped, which would be silly.  The Filter, DN and URI drafts all
require some characters to be quoted/escaped and allow additional
characters to be quoted.