Re: Continuation reference to root DN

Well, at least one directory implementation has a real entry at the root of the global tree. Thus an alias could point to that entry. I guess that breaks the X.500 data model though and so is the problem of that implementation (it sure is handy to have a place to hang tree-wide policy though).

So, for the issue I brought up, let me ask if it's OK with the WG that we restrict referrals from pointing to the empty dn.

Jim

Jim Sermersheim wrote:

> Good point. 4.1.10 is broken when an alias points to the empty DN. One could
> easily loop on this problem.

The requirements for continuation references were derived from those of
X.500 which tended to point 'across' or 'down'.  It would seem to me that
a referral to the root DSE for an operation that is not a baseObject search
or Modify on the root DSE would be a 'new feature'.  I don't know an
application of this feature that would warrant such a change being required
to improve interoperability.  Do you know of such application needs?  If
so, let's discuss how it uses such referrals to other servers' root DSEs
before we discuss making a change to LDAP.  If there aren't, then it might
be easier to just forbid such references from being created.

Mark Wahl
Sun Microsystems Inc.