Re: short names (descriptors) proposal

Kurt,

Ok by me.

Thanks,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2540

                      "Kurt D.
                      Zeilenga"                To:       Michael Ströder <michael@stroeder.com>
                      <Kurt@OpenLDAP.or        cc:       Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS, ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
                      g>                       Subject:  Re: short names (descriptors) proposal

                      11/04/2002 02:17
                      PM

At 06:00 AM 2002-11-04, Michael Ströder wrote:
>Timothy Hahn wrote:
>>Regarding the use of the same name for an attribute type and an object
>>class - I agree that it should be "discouraged".  I don't think the
>>specifications need to explicitly DIS-allow it.
>
>Maybe it would be helpful for application developers if the standard
document explicitly states that an attribute type and an object class MAY
have the same name although discouraged. I had to learn it the hard way...

How about adding the following to 6.2:
  Note: While discouraged, one name may (for historical reasons)
  be an alias for multiple OIDs each referring to a different kind
  of schema element.  That is, there may be an objectClass 'fubar'
  and an attributeType 'fubar'.