Re: short names (descriptors) proposal

Kurt,

I like the approach you've outlined.

Regarding the use of the same name for an attribute type and an object
class - I agree that it should be "discouraged".  I don't think the
specifications need to explicitly DIS-allow it.

Regards,
Tim Hahn

Internet: hahnt@us.ibm.com
Internal: Timothy Hahn/Durham/IBM@IBMUS
phone: 919.224.1565     tie-line: 8/687.1565
fax: 919.224.2540

                      Michael Ströder
                      <michael@stroeder.co        To:       "Kurt D. Zeilenga" <Kurt@OpenLDAP.org>
                      m>                          cc:       ietf-ldapbis@OpenLDAP.org
                      Sent by:                    Subject:  Re: short names (descriptors) proposal
                      owner-ietf-ldapbis@O
                      penLDAP.org

                      11/01/2002 03:42 PM

Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
> I suggest replacing the existing [Models, Section 6.2] text with:
>
>   Short names (descriptors) used to identify various schema elements
>   SHOULD be registered unless in private-use name space (e.g.,
>   "x-").  Names used to identify elements defined in RFCs MUST be
>   registered.
>
>   Procedures for registering short names are detailed in BCP 64
>   [RFC3383].

Just a question:
Is it allowed (and your intention) that different schema element types
share
the same name? E.g. an object class and an attribute type both registered
with name 'fooBar'?

Ciao, Michael.