Re: short names (descriptors) proposal

At 12:42 PM 2002-11-01, Michael Ströder wrote:
>Kurt D. Zeilenga wrote:
>>I suggest replacing the existing [Models, Section 6.2] text with:
>>  Short names (descriptors) used to identify various schema elements
>>  SHOULD be registered unless in private-use name space (e.g.,
>>  "x-").  Names used to identify elements defined in RFCs MUST be
>>  registered.
>>  Procedures for registering short names are detailed in BCP 64
>>  [RFC3383].
>
>Just a question:
>Is it allowed (and your intention) that different schema element types share the same name? E.g. an object class and an attribute type both registered with name 'fooBar'?

It's allowed but not necessarily recommended.  It wasn't
disallowed for historical reasons.  If I recall correctly,
there is at least one such case in (non-Standard Track)
RFCs.  I would suspect that any request for attempted
to registered name with another OID/type would come under
close scrutiny by the IANA, the "Expert", and the IETF/LDAP
community.  Unless it was demonstrated that the requested
name was in wide use over an extended period of time, I
would likely oppose the request.

Kurt